Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No More Tears

Three years and more
Since that cold day in August
Yet, I still remember it,
Like it was yeaterday
(I guess to me, it always will be.)

Rain poured down, as if it desperately needed to rid itself of all moisture. As if the clouds had to wring out all the water that night. That very night, or else the world will come to a drastic end.

To me, that "end" seemed to come anyway. The streets were pools of water. Cars spinning out of control. He never had a chance to grow old. Twenty three, he was merely twenty three.

Too young to experience life on his own and yet too old to have it spoon - fed to him. He wanted to be independent, a rebel. He wanted to say, that he had done it, without his parents ever knowing. But, they found out.

24th Aug. '07, 17:00 : Knock on the door..."I'm sorry aunt", was the first words out of his mouth,"your son was killed today in a car accident." The world came to a halting stop and yet the room still managed to continue to spin.

"You don't know what you are talking about. My son.....he just went out with his friends. Maybe he's back." Frantically, she ran up the stairs. He was gone, nowhere to be found.

It's over, he was identified, it was really him, a best friend to so many....his life stolen away. I heard it that night, full of disbelief. I acted as if I never heard the words.

"Lies...so full of lies..its only a nasty rumor. You know how that is," was my reply to the news that soon became a reality to me shortly after.

I saw him lying...still..no movement. Although I could have sworn that any moment he was just going to rise up out of the white sheet that he rested in and bring peace to a room full of grief.

It din't even look like him. It wasn't him. Too long I glared at him. Questions running through my mind like a freight train at a speed too fast to comprehend.

"God, he was so young. How could a life so young be stolen so quickly?" No reply..I got infuriated with "GOD". He was a good person, just made a few bad choices. I never thought, they were severe enough to be punishable by death.

The next day, as I witnessed the casket that held the breathless body of my friend, and he was burned down into the earth, tears poured down my cheeks like rain out of heaven. It was so hot that day, I could feel the salty droplets dry hard on my face.

I wondered for so long about the life of my friend. I pondered this question so many times. Why shall the innocent die, while the murderers run free? How come he never got to fulfill the 'perfect' plan that we are all promised ?


It has taken me more than a year to understand the loss of my friend. It has taken me this long to realize that his plan was played out. It is all summed up in this one word that often bring shudders to the bones of so many...."Lessons..."

His death was a lesson to all that he left behind....that life is fragile. There is no way we can control who lives and dies. All we can do is have faith that we will get through it.

Good and bad are obvious and sometimes not so obvious. Right and wrong choices can determine life or death. So, its time for us to wake up. Morn no more, for time will heal our broken hearts. And one day, there will be no more tears to cry.


( I had written this a long time back..just posting it...with a few changes made..)

No comments:

Post a Comment